We recently featured a scrumptious Carmel Walnut Tart in our Easy and Elegant Entertaining – Part II Pre Party Checklist. This tart can easily be made the night before and served warm or cold the next day.
WALNUT TART (Serves 8-10)
For the crust
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter, cut in cubes and very cold
- 1 egg beaten
For the Filling
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- Zest from 1/2 orange
- 2 cups walnuts toasted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon orange extract
1. In a food processor, pulse together the flour, sugar and salt. Add the butter and pulse until coarse crumbs form. Through the feed tube, pour the beaten egg into the mixture and pulse just until mixture comes together in a ball. Remove from the bowl and knead lightly to incorporate any remaining dry ingredients. Press into the bottom and up the sides of a tart pan or springform pan.
2. Place the prepared shell in the freezer for 1 hour. Place a piece of buttered foil in shell and pour pie weights or beans into the shell. Bake at 375° for 20–25 minutes. Remove foil and pie weights from the shell and return to the oven for another 5 minutes. Let cool slightly.
1. In a large saucepan, combine the heavy cream, sugar, brown sugar, honey and orange zest. Cook over medium heat until sugar dissolves, bring to a boil until thick.
2. Add the walnuts and the salt. Stir to
combine and pour into baked tart shell. Add the walnuts and the salt. Stir to combine and pour into baked tart shell.
3. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake at 400° for 25 minutes. Remove to wire rack and let cool completely.
For more recipes, visit the Home is Here Food page.