Shepherd’s Pie: This traditional British dish gets its flavor from lamb and savory winter vegetables. A stick-to-your-ribs meal that’s perfect for chasing away hunger on cool winter nights.
Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup milk, warm
- 1 stick butter
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 ½pound ground lamb
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and
- 1 small celery root, peeled and
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 ½cup beef stock
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½cup frozen peas
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Start with the potatoes: In a large saucepan, boil until soft in unsalted water.
- Drain and add milk, butter and sour cream.
- Mash well and season with salt and pepper; Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and brown the ground lamb.
- Remove from pan and add carrot, onion, celery root, garlic and thyme.
- Sauté until the onion becomes soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add flour and mix well.
- Pour in the stock and let mixture cook for 1 minute.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, meat and peas.
- Mix well and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the mashed potatoes on top.
- Bake until golden, about 15 minutes.