Treat backyard birds with homemade DIY bird seed ornaments they’ll love to munch on this summer. Oak Express outdoor experts have put together this simple craft for both children and adults. The best part is that cleanup is easy and fast! Make sure to check out Oak Express’ Outdoor Living collection, so the fun will last all day.
• 3/4 cup birdseed
• 1/4 cup water
• 1 small envelope of gelatin
• twine or string
• cookie cutters, molds or mason jar lids
• wax paper
1. Mix together the envelope of gelatin with 1/4 cup of water and bring to a simmer while stirring. Continue stirring until the gelatin is dissolved.
2. Remove from heat and let cool for a minute.
3. Stir in the 3/4 cup birdseed, adding a little more if there is still liquid in the bottom of the pan.
4. Lay your cookie cutters out on wax paper and fill with the birdseed mixture.
5. For solid ornaments, fill half full, cut your twine, knot the end and push the knot down into your birdseed. Continue filling with birdseed, covering the end of your twine and knot.
6. Turn them over a few times while they are allowed to dry overnight.
7. Remove from the cookie cutters and hang them in your trees and enjoy!
For the latest DIY tips, follow us on Facebook.